Thursday, May 28, 2009

Listening

When I finally made the choice to pack up my life and travel 5,000 miles away from everything I have ever known, I suddenly panicked. Would I be able to sustain a full life without the constant attachment of my family and friends, let alone entirely in another language?

“Listen and attend with the ear of your heart.” Saint Benedict

I have thought about this so many times during my 4 years here in Italy. Life takes strange twists and turns, we never quite know how, when, where, or why…but there always seems to be a reason. I just decided, if I listen to my heart, all else will follow.

So now here I sit, in my little house on the hill that was built so many years ago, that has welcomed so many lives, that has thankfully been visited by my loving family and friends, that has watched new friendships blossom, and I think…yes, I am really glad I listened.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i understand this post so well. kt

sperlygirl said...

i get this too -- on so many levels.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...